Sanitizers have been very useful in the fight against COVID19. Earlier, only medical professionals used to use the sanitizer to save themselves from harmful diseases. However, the pandemic has given rise to many unwanted germs that require severe protection. It is very tough to fight against an invisible enemy and the sanitizer has helped a lot in preventing it. The pandemic has given rise to many questions regarding the hygiene. The garbage and rubbish that has been accumulated everywhere since years may now harm the humans.
The implementation of the lockdown helped a lot in preventing the disease. However, the person has to move out of the house to get the important things. So, in such severe cases they will have to take extra precautions by using masks and sanitizers. The mask will protect them from coming in contact with the unwanted germs and the hand sanitizer will kill the germs. These two things has been enforced on the people by the government so that they can save themselves from getting infected. Thus, the sanitizer is an important item and its significance and other uses are highlighted below.
Significance of sanitizer
The sanitizer is a gel-based substance. It has a thick texture that you can spread only by providing external help. It contains many different ingredients and can be used for protecting the person from getting infected with dangerous viruses and bacteria. The sanitizers have huge significance as they are the real fighters for the germs. The sanitizer contains a material that can help in killing the bacteria and virus. They can also have a long-lasting effect on the skin and will not allow other particles to settle on the body. Usually, people use sanitizer for their hands because the hands are in constant contact with one or the other surface. So, it is very important to save the hands from getting the germs. Moreover, the long-lasting effect will help in maintaining the consistency of the body and give a good fight against the germs.
Contents in the sanitizer
There are different types of sanitizers used by different people and so the basic components are described here.
- The first important component that helps in killing the germs is alcohol. It has the tendency to kill the particles and give a clear surface. The major alcohols used in the sanitizer are ethyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol. The proportion of the alcohols vary based on the use and the manufacturer.
- Another ingredient is glycerin. The glycerin has inbuilt moisture that will help in keeping the hands wet and moist at all times. However, more use of glycerin can also make the hands sticky and that hinders the working efficiency.
- The last ingredient is not essential but it gives a good vibe to the product. The last ingredient is perfume. It gives smell to the sanitizer and the person can use it without any issues. Furthermore, the perfume suppresses the strong smell of the alcohol.
Thus, it is very easy to make the sanitizer on lab scale. However, the person will have to maintain the percentage of alcohol so that it would not harm the skin and would only kill the germs.
How to use it?
The sanitizer is essentially for hands and it is for external use only. It can create burning effect when used internally. So, the person cannot use it for any place in their body and they cannot drink it also. The only way to use the sanitizer is to take a drop or two on the palms and rub both the palms to spread it all over the hands. However, the major property of the alcohol is to evaporate. So, the moment you start spreading the sanitizer, it will start evaporating. Thus, the evaporation will help in killing all the germs and not have any side effects on the skin. However, it is a medical product there would be some side effects. So, you will have to use it strictly for rubbing on hands and not for any other purpose.
There are many side effects of the sanitizer and some of them are highlighted here.
- The first side effect is the tendency of the alcohol to catch fire. They are flammable and can catch fire easily. So, even if you are rubbing it on hands, you will have to wait for a while before using any fire equipment.
- The other side effect is the dryness. The alcohol is so strong that it can make the skin dry which might lead to burning sensations in sometime. So, the person has to keep the use as minimum as possible.
- It can create an addictive abuse if consumed orally. So, the person has to take extra care while using it so that they do not misuse it.
For place sanitization
The actual alcohol-based sanitizer is prone to fire and so you cannot usethem for sanitization at any place. They cannot come in direct contact with the electronic items and other things. So, the best way to sanitize the place would be use a different sanitizer. The different version will contain 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. The chemical acts a disinfectant and can help in killing the germs in the workplace or at home. It does not catch fire easily and protects the person from many things. However, it is harmful for the people as it creates burning sensation in the eyes and while breathing. So, the dilute solution will help in making it more acceptable for the health. Moreover, it is not very expensive that increases it use exponentially.
Thus, the sanitizer is very helpful for every person who is struggling to survive in the pandemic. However, the person has to use these things to save themselves from the germs and virus. The different types of sanitizer can help in maintaining the personal as well as place specific hygiene. Thus, the person can make the solution all by themselves and help in providing a disinfectant for their place. So, this helps them in protecting themselves and others also.